Museo dell'Ara Pacis - Exterior
Front of Museum
The new Museo dell'Ara Pacis was designed by Richard Meier and Partners and opened to the public in 2006. The front of the museum is visible from a distance as one approaches from the south. its pervasive rectangular design, characteristic of the international style of the past half-century, contrasts with that of the landmark churches to its right, while harmonizing with the 1939 Fascist office buildings on the other three sides of the Piazza. A grand approach is provided by the expansive staircase, beyond which visitors are welcomed by a recessed, glass-fronted entry.